Chat for Google is a new extension that silently released by the Chrome team few days back. I just installed this extension from the Chrome Web store and it is awesome. The Chat for Google extension enables you to chat with your Google talk contacts without installing any software. Say adieu to Google Talk desktop app. This new extension is just like an alternative to Google Talk. Similar to Google Talk, Chat for Google also shows your Google+ contacts online on the chat window and additionally a Hangout button to make quick video calls.
Features of Chat for Google Chrome Extension
Some of the features I have noticed at my first use of this new Chrome chat are as follows.
- Sign in at browser start up
- You can move from tab to tab or open any Windows applications while the chat window stay open and active.
- After sign in closing the browser will not stop this extension functioning until you close the chat window. That means you can make chat right from your desktop even after closing your browser.
- Allow to add friends and send direct messages
- Video and voice call
Once installed you can quickly launch the chat window from the system tray or by clicking on the extension icon that appears just right side of your browser’s address bar. By right clicking on the icon you can access the options page of this official Chrome chat box. From the options page you can manage some application and notification settings like:
- Sign in at browser start
- Show system tray icon
- Play sound for notifications
- Use Chrome panels
- Disable email notifications
- Allow chat notifications to timeout automatically
- Timeout length (in seconds)
If you use Google Talk and like Google Chrome, install this app. You will surely like Chat for Google. It is another reason for switching to Chrome from your current browser. Am I right?